Saturday, September 15, 2007

Our Lady of Sorrows

This image is one of the most haunting sorrowful Virgins I have ever seen. I don't know who painted it--if anyone knows and can tell me, I would be grateful to know, and to give proper attribution.

Today is the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows.



the 7 Sorrows of Mary:

1. The prophecy of Simeon.
2. The flight into Egypt.
3. The loss of the Child Jesus in the Temple.
4. Mary meets Jesus carrying His cross.
5. The Crucifixion
6. Mary received the Body of Jesus from the cross
7. The Body of Jesus is placed in a tomb.


One way of praying this devotion is simply to meditate on each sorrowful event while praying a Hail Mary for each.

Two Hearts Network has a lovely Our Lady of Sorrows page that I would encourage you to visit. I found some beautiful prayers there; some I had never seen or heard of before, such as the "Sorrowful Hail Mary", which follows.

The Sorrowful Hail Mary

Hail Mary, full of sorrows, the Crucified is with thee; thou art pitiable amongst women, and pitiable is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of the Crucified, implore for us, the crucifiers of thy Son, tears of contrition, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

----approved by Pope Pius IX in 1847



No comments: